Oboe/Linton Oboe

Linton oboe
Linton oboe  

oboe 2
oboe 2  
I purchased an oboe on eBay with the silly idea that I could play oboe since I play flute.  Ha!  Anyhow, I'm thinking I'd like to sell it now, but I don't know much about the brand and the internet has little to no info about Lintons (I did see your previous reply to another post).  It's a model VSP 13736, the body is wood but the bell is resin and likely a replacement.  It's quite old, so when I got it I had it repadded and recorked, and the pads all had to be hand cut.  I'd be glad to send additional photos if you'd like.  Thank you so much!

Dear Deena

Your oboe looks in good nick and I'm sure will sell. Try a local school see if they are interested. It is a model intended for students to use. There is no bottom B flat although it has both C#/D and C/D trills. Probably from the early 1970s.

Lintons were made in Elkhart by Selmer later Conn took them over. If it had "Paris" or "France" on it anywhere in its markings it would have had a B flat at the bottom and be full conservatory. These were made in France by either Cabart or Malerne and were most definitely full system and all wood.

I reckon that $450 - 500 is about right it it plays well. Are you sure about the material it is made of? Most of these intermediate models were made of plastic and sometimes it is real hard to tell the difference!

Best of luck with your sale

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed