Oboe/Linton Oboe

Question
Very similar question to a previous post, but just around the corner from you in Hampshire, UK.
I wonder if you can help me price a Linton Oboe.. I am a string player and have zero knowledge when it comes to Oboes!
I think I have a composite model, serial number HRPT4 8398.
It was sold to me for about 600, 5 years ago, by a chap that everyone (oboe teacher inc) trusted, but he has since retired.
It is in good nick, was regularly serviced, played well for an intermediate player and the tone was admired by all. But it has sat in its box unused for two years and my daughter suggested I sell it.
Can you suggest where best to sell it around here, or online, and a good opening price to suggest? Thank you for any help that you can give me.
Best wishes,
Barbara

Answer
Dear Barbara

Linton oboes are pretty good student instruments and if yours is in good condition then it might fetch from probably about 400 to 450 at best.
I presume that it is a covered hole model. These were mostly made in Elkhart Indiana by Selmer USA in the plastic versions - although if the bell is marked Paris it would be made by Cabart. They are quite old and might therefore not be in good air tight condition.
They were also rather variable but a good one will be potentially still a good one!

It is an oboe which would be very useful in schools so if you know anyone connected with your local Berkshire or Surrey Music Services that might be a start in finding a buyer.

If not Peter Davies in Huddersfield might take it on to sell for you. He deals with student instruments more than some dealers.
Find him on: oboepeter@gmail.com or Tel: 01484 533053.

Sorry I am not round the corner from you as I now live in Perthshire!

If you want to send a picture send it (them) to

geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge