Oboe/Oboe - should i keep or sell it?

Dear Geoffrey,

I have been given (bequeathed) an oboe. I play other woodwind instruments and wouldn't mind learning oboe but I don't know whether it would be a good choice to have this one serviced to play or just sell it and buy a more suitable model.  It looks wooden, has an Evette logo (no other brand eg. Buffet or Schaeffer - I've been researching a little) on the foot. Its serial number is 10949. I haven't taken it to the repairer yet but i can see that it is in decent condition with maybe some pads to replace. As I couldn't find anything on Evette branded oboes)  that definitely do not have any other brand name or country in the logo or engraved on the instrument, I wondered if you could help me? I would be a beginner oboist, but not musician (flute major).

Thank you,

Dear emma

The "Evette" branded oboes are a student line made later in the 1960s taking on the name from the Buffet and Schaeffer brand. There were various makers in France and Germany. Very confusing!!

Could you let me see a few pictures of the instrument before I go any further?
There are quite a few models bearing the name.

Send pix to my website email:

I 'll get back to you asap after I see them.

If this is not possible please describe the key system with a bit more detail. Is it covered holes or rings, does it go down to bottom B flat - a key on the bell with a pad would prove that one. Is it semi automatic octave or simple octaves?

Best for now

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed