Oboe/oboe reeds

Question
QUESTION: This is my third year playing oboe, what kind of reed should i get that will be most effective? Ive mainly used medium-soft jones reeds, but they dont work as well as my teacher would like.

ANSWER: Hi, Ashley.  I need more information before I can answer you quesion.  What is it about you current eeds that your teacher doesn't like?  What problems, if any, are you having with the reeds? Do you adjust your own reeds?  Joel

QUESTION: Well now, I use jones reeds and at first they were fine . Now my teacher doesn't like how out of tune my reed always ends up being . I sometimes file the back of my reed before I use it , but it doesn't seem to make a difference anymore. I just would like to find a reed that would be easy to stay in tune and also one that will last a little longer .

Answer
Ashley,  I'm not sure what you mean when you state that you file the back of your reeds. Please elaborate.  In terms of intonation, are all notes in all registers either sharp or flat or is it a problem within a specific register?  Tell me about your oboe: what make is it, how old is it, is it wood or plastic, when was the last time it was adjusted? In terms of having a reed last longer I have some general suggestions:  1) alternate reeds - if you keep using the same reed for all your playing, it would make sense that it will wear out faster than if you use alternate reeds.  I have a number of playable reeds and rotate using them.  2) soak your reeds in water not in your mouth.  Your saliva contains enzymes which purpose it is to begin the digestive process.  The same enzymes will work to break down the fibers of your reeds.  Don't be afraid to give me loads of details about your current reeds and your oboe.  I'll decide what might be germane to the problem.  Joel  

Oboe

Joel Simon