Oboe/Selmer oboe serial number

Dear Mr Bridge,

I have just acquired a 17-keyed English (i.e. thumbplate) oboe that is stamped "Selmer London Sterling Foreign" and carries a serial number 4153. Selmer's website lists serial numbers only for their saxophones and there is a list on of their trumpets, saxes, and clarinets, but I am having trouble tracking down serial numbers for their oboes to find out the production date of this instrument. Do you know where I could find out information on Selmer serial numbers? From the design I would be surprised if it were made after 1945, I am thinking more in the 20s or 30s.

Thank you!
Joel Verkaik

Dera Joel

This sounds to me like an oboe made for Boosey and Hawkes by Selmer in the fifties or sixties.
They were a common enough oboe sold to schools in the UK.

Could you send me a couple of photos please and let me have a look?

Send them to:

I'll get back to when Ive seen the instrument.

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed