Oboe/buffet oboe, which staple

Question
Dear Geoffrey!

I have a Buffet oboe, not a Greenline, but an older one.
I feel, mostly in the second octave(a-c), that it's a bit unstable, and lower than the other!I use Lorée 1 shape, and a hungarian staple, Victoria 46, which is quite the same as Chiarugi 2.
What do you think which staple would be good for me?
I tried Chiarugi 2 46, but a felt, that i have to use my throat to make sound, i tried guercio d10,12, 46, none of them helped me.
I cut the reed to 70,5 and tie to 73,5 mm.
Thanks for your help!

Best Wishes,
Márton

Answer
Dear Marton
The bore of the two Buffets Greenline and grenadilla are almost identical I assume.
I would try a bigger staple such as Chiarugi No 5 which is copy of the Glotin but well made. Alternatively my best staple for the Greenline I use is the Rigoutat  gold plated - yes gold plated! These Rigoutat staples can be bought online form Rigoutat in Paris.
I also find success with the Roseau Chantant RC12 shaper on these staples.

My Greenline certainly needs a bigger staple to make it comfortable and the RC 12 is a compromise shape. I have used all the RC shapes up to RC 15 which feels wide. This is easy blown and warm in sound but the octaves can be unstable with softer cane quality although they stand up using harder cane at 56/100 gouge. The very highest notes though are not so easy!!
Flatness can be a problem and I need to tie on long and cut quite a lot off so I tend to use 45mm GLotin staple or some colleagues use even a 42mm staple so as to keep the pitch in the A=440 range.
Hope is gives you food for thought

Best wishes

Geoffrey  

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge