Oboe/Cabart Oboe

oboe photo
oboe photo  
I have a very old Cabart Oboe with a serial no. that looks like K100
It has the b # natural symbol on the bell.  Not sure what is the Galeon symbol you mentioned in a previous post.  I was trying to figure out the age of the instrument.  Thank you

Dear Ann

This bell does look VERY old. Is it possible for you to send me a couple more pictures? If so send them to:

I will have a better idea of its age if I see the whole instrument in some detail.

The serial numbers are not a great guide but I would suggest that your oboe is from late 19th century. Looks like rosewood too from the bell picture.

Cabart had a long history - started in 1842 - with various factories and uses of the name by others, so it a difficult task sometimes to pinpoint the age to better than a 20 year period.

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed