Oboe/Cabart Oboe

Question
oboe photo
oboe photo  
I have a very old Cabart Oboe with a serial no. that looks like K100
It has the b # natural symbol on the bell.  Not sure what is the Galeon symbol you mentioned in a previous post.  I was trying to figure out the age of the instrument.  Thank you

Answer
Dear Ann

This bell does look VERY old. Is it possible for you to send me a couple more pictures? If so send them to:

geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com

I will have a better idea of its age if I see the whole instrument in some detail.

The serial numbers are not a great guide but I would suggest that your oboe is from late 19th century. Looks like rosewood too from the bell picture.

Cabart had a long history - started in 1842 - with various factories and uses of the name by others, so it a difficult task sometimes to pinpoint the age to better than a 20 year period.

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge