Hello Geoffrey,
Thanks for replying my previous questions. I just can't follow it up again, so I just write a new one. Thanks for your all your support. Its so useful to me, for my oboe playing, because I don't  have any permanent oboe teacher here in Indonesia.
So, I'm playing on a yamaha 841, and definitely has a problem of 2nd octave A is too low. It might be that the staple I'm using right now is too big, it's chiarugi 47 2+. But, if i use smaller staple, it feels like I have to push more for the sound. What would be your suggestion to this problem?
2nd thing, in your  previous answer, you suggested me to use shorter staple. How does it affect the reed?
3rd thing, to get more opening on the reed, should I tie shorter or longer, should I use a bigger staple or smaller staple?

Thank you so much. I wish you have a good year in 2014.

Best regards,

Dear Billy

Happy New Year to you from Europe. Sorry I am bit late. Forgive me...

The top A flatness is a problem sometimes. Are you sure that the bottom A is not a shade flat as well? Often they are. The second octave hole is sometimes a little small and affects the octave pitch but usually of all the nor=tes you use it for - A, B flat, B and C. The staple can affect things but are you suggesting the smaller chimney makes the pitch correct even though you feel there is more resistance to blowing? If there is more resistance you can thin the reed a little at the very very tip to get a better response. The effects of staples are pretty marginal in the long run. So much of the ease of blowing is in the quality of the cane and the amount scraped away. Try taking back the bottom of the scrape a touch. Making the U longer into a V and see what happens. Pitch may go down all over!!!

A shorter staple brings up the pitch and also in theory affects the left notes slightly more than the right hand notes. Also the blowing can feel more open and sometimes get a little "brassier" in sound. Again the cane and scrape are more likely to change the sound than the staple.

To get more opening tie on ALWAYS so that the sides just close one turn above the top of the staple. Then cut to pitch and with a wide shape such as Rigoutat -2 the opening should be fine. This depends on the cane diameter. Let cane diameter be the deciding factor. If you need a bigger opening you will just have to go for 10mm cane or about that. 11.00mm may be too small for you.
In my experience tying longer or shorter as you ask is not possible because the staple dimension dictates where the cane is tied. As I say one turn below the top of the staple and the sides should just close. Any longer and the reed will choke, any shorter and it will be leaky and lack stability as the sides don't meet all the way down from tip to staple.

Very best to you

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed