Oboe/Replacement value

Question
QUESTION: I have a Rigoutat oboe with serial no. 37AD. I bought the instrument 2nd hand about 25 years ago but had no idea of its age. It's in good condition, and fairly even in tone quality and intonation. I've been trying to discover the instrument's age and approximate value for insurance purposes.

Many thanks in advance of your your reply.

ANSWER: Dear Drysdale

Your Rigoutat was almost certainly made in 1983/4 and would be a Classique model as their other models were not yet on the market.
If it has a bell ring then it will the Classique model for sure.

These instruments currently sell for about 3000 maximum in good condition. If you want to sell it try Andrew May in Edinburgh who I'm sure would be willing to give it a try. Or Peter Davies in Huddersfield deals with Rigoutat quite a lot.

On the other hand if it is good order it should play very well and give many more years of satisfaction. Keep it looked after by a good repairer and enjoy it.

Best wishes from Perthshire!

Geoffrey

QUESTION: Dear Geoffrey,

Thank you for your prompt answer.I certainly wish to keep my Rigoutat. However, my insurers are looking for a replacement value and I can't find any prices for new instruments on Rigoutat's website. Do you have any idea what the current cost of a new Classique model is?

Very many thanks.

Answer
Dear Drysdale

New Rigoutat oboes are easily acquired in the UK.
The new price including case is 5995 or 6295 with a thumb plate added.
This price is for all the models they normally sell here, Classic, Evolution, Symphony and Expression. The only difference in these models is the bore shape. Price is identical.

Your insurer can be referred to the Howarth of London website for new current prices.
Second hand you would expect to pay according to age. A ten year old for example would probably cost about 4000.

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge