Oboe/English horn reed dimensions

Question
Hello Geoffrey!

I've recently found a reed setup for the oboe that I can live with which I guess turned out to be a pretty standard flexible European short scraped reed: 10.5 diameter cane gouged at 58-59, RC12 shape, Chiarugi No.5 45/46 mm staple, 10 mm U-scrape, total length 25 mm past the staple.
Now I want to start making my own English horn reeds as well, but since I've never done this before I don't really know what measurements to start with. Judging from the Le Roseau Chantant reeds Iíve been playing on so far (which I think are shaped with the RC1) I would prefer a slightly narrower shape, perhaps with more parallel sides. This is because I want more projection in the sound which is too smooth/ĒlameĒ for my taste when scraped to a controllable thickness. I will of course ask Dimiter about the shapes, but other than that I think Iím looking for a pretty basic setup using Chiarugi No 2 staples which Iíve been told suit my instrument/bocals well.
So: With my oboe reed setup in mind, what dimensions would you recommend me to use for a typical European style Cor Anglais reed? And is there anything particular I should have in mind when making reeds for the Cor? These are basics I know but trying to find the "standard" through internet search can be mighty confusing!

Thanks in advance,

Markus

Answer
Dear Markus

Your oboe set up looks great. I guess you playing a Marigaux? Sorry if I'm wrong!

I don't think I can really help here because I have NEVER succeeded in making a good cor reed.
I hardly play the cor as oboe is mainly what I am asked to play. I do play it of course and enjoy it but I always buy reeds for it I am ashamed to say. It's really a time thing. I don't have enough of that!

If you can send me an email address I will get in touch with a professional cor player in London I know who will help you I am sure. I will send her your email and if she agrees to help she will get in touch directly.

Best wishes and sorry not to be of more use...

Geoffrey

Postscript
Just remembered that I didn't give you my email address to contact me! I am sorry.....
It is geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge