Oboe/old vs. new oboe

Marianne wrote at 2013-09-04 14:30:27
Personally I love older oboes and English horns.  I have two horns from the CK series.  My English horn has a sound that I have never heard with another horn and conductors have commented on it.  As I make lousy reeds, it's not the reed.  The older horns are seasoned well in oil.  The newer ones heated instead.  I have seen my colleagues horns crack all over the place-I have seen them buy horn after horn, while I played professionally the same two horns for 33 years.  Evelyn Rothwell's English horn is still being played professionally.  with a fine repairman, the older horns can be tuned and kept in tip top shape.

So go buy a new one and save the great old ones for the rest of us as the supply is limited.  The principal in the BSO also plays B series Lorees. I guess he knows his stuff.  Just my humble opinion...

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed