Oboe/what model is my Oboe?

Question
Oboe pic 1
Oboe pic 1  

oboe pic 2
oboe pic 2  
Hello,
I've had my oboe for quite some time now. i used to major in Oboe when i went to Conservatoire in Cairo. I was still in middle school. i finally wanna let go and sell it but i don't know the type/model of my oboe to help me value it. can you please help me?
It's a Henri Selmer, made it France, with "Depose" on top of its stamp. on the back there is a number "2998", but the top two pieces has "0 2998" on them. i have no idea what it mean. i need you help, please!

Answer
Dear Gehan

Selmer oboes are hard to ID as they made a lot of models. As far I can tell yours is a French made Henri Selmer oboe, made out of grenadilla wood. It is not an American Selmer instrument which is good perhaps!

It is very close to being a full professional model.
There are strangely some trill keys missing combined with fully automatic octave keys and left hand F. A rather unusual combination as fully auto octave keys usually go with the full key system with a split D ring and that jazz!

I reckon it would made in the late fifties to early sixties. The word "Depose" translates as "listed", as in patented. It is not a model type. It was used in clarinets into the 1950s so your oboe might be of that vintage.

The value would be around $500 US at the most depending so much on how it plays and if it has any cracks in the top joint particularly.

Hope this helps a bit

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge