Oboe/what model is my Oboe?

Oboe pic 1
Oboe pic 1  

oboe pic 2
oboe pic 2  
I've had my oboe for quite some time now. i used to major in Oboe when i went to Conservatoire in Cairo. I was still in middle school. i finally wanna let go and sell it but i don't know the type/model of my oboe to help me value it. can you please help me?
It's a Henri Selmer, made it France, with "Depose" on top of its stamp. on the back there is a number "2998", but the top two pieces has "0 2998" on them. i have no idea what it mean. i need you help, please!

Dear Gehan

Selmer oboes are hard to ID as they made a lot of models. As far I can tell yours is a French made Henri Selmer oboe, made out of grenadilla wood. It is not an American Selmer instrument which is good perhaps!

It is very close to being a full professional model.
There are strangely some trill keys missing combined with fully automatic octave keys and left hand F. A rather unusual combination as fully auto octave keys usually go with the full key system with a split D ring and that jazz!

I reckon it would made in the late fifties to early sixties. The word "Depose" translates as "listed", as in patented. It is not a model type. It was used in clarinets into the 1950s so your oboe might be of that vintage.

The value would be around $500 US at the most depending so much on how it plays and if it has any cracks in the top joint particularly.

Hope this helps a bit

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed