Oboe/Oboe

Question
Hi,  I have an oboe that I found in a trash pile many years ago. On the end piece of the oboe it reads CABART and under that in cursive it says paris.  I can't seem to find any type of stamped serial numbers but on the top and middle pieces the number 555 looks to be hand carved into the instrument.  I'm pretty sure this instrument is at least 40+ years old and appears to be wooden.  It needs a complete over-haul with pads and cork and needs a good cleaning. Is there any way if I sent you some pics that you could tell me more about this instrument and if it has any value in today's market.  

Sincerely,
Janet Fox

Answer
Hi Janet, thank you for your email. The Cabart oboe you have was made prior to 1974 when the deGourdon (Loree) Company purchased the Cabart brand. The pre Loree Cabart oboes are not widely used today; and I suspect that the investment of an overhaul will cost you more than the value of the instrument. If the oboe was found in a trash bin, the wood may have already have subtle damage due to exposure. This type of oboe makes a great lamp! or show piece. If you wish to send along any photos, I am happy to add more detail to my response. Best regards, hannah

Oboe

Hannah Selznick