Oboe/Oboe Identification

oboe 1
oboe 1  

oboe 2
oboe 2  
I have a Selmer oboe, but have not been able to tell what model it is, and, therefore, it's value.  It is Serial Number B 38243.
I have tried many sites relating to Selmer & etc to no avail.

Dear Phil

From the pictures I would say that your Selmer is definitely a model 1492B. It goes down to bottom B and not B flat, and has semi automatic octaves and is made from a high impact plastic material.

The new price is about $2000 or just over byut bargains can be had new on this oboe.
The used price varies according to condition from about $500 - $700. Not much more Im afraid.

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed