Oboe/Oboe Style and Value

Question
Oboe
Oboe  
My daughter (14) is using the oboe I used when I was her age.  I am considering whether to have it overhauled (appears to range from $300-$700), but concerned about cost of overhaul vs. instrument value.  I would like to know the type of instrument (student, intermediate) and any additional information you might know that would help me determine its value.  It says "Signet Selmer U.S.A. on the Bell.  Serial Number MR23563.  It is **at least** 30 years old, I don't know how old it was when it was given to me.  I count 19 keys on this instrument.  Internet research leads me to believe it may be an intermediate, Signet Soloist model. Thank you for any information.

Answer
Dear John

My gut reaction is trade it in for a newer design intermediate oboe such as a Howarth S45 or a Rigoutat RIEC or even a Howarth S20 Cabart74 made by Loree.

Unfortunately older oboes don't hold value well and there is little "thing" about the Selmer oboe range. But having said that you must decide if it plays well and you can get a $300 overhaul or at least a "make it play and nothing major type" of overhaul then keep it. I would expect not a huge dollar value for the Selmer. Something like $750 perhaps at very best. Depends how it plays as value always does.

I would really bite the bullet and buy something more modern . Things have moved on greatly in the last 20 years in oboe design . Some of models I mention above are really very fine indeed for the money.

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge