Oboe/Cabart oboe

Question
Hello - we have owned a "Cabart Special" oboe for some 25 or 30 years and it was old when we bought it.  The only marking that we found is the stamp "B 108" on the barrel.  We were wondering if this is a French model or a later one.  We have had the pads replaced and the keys all function well.  Since my wife is not no longer playing it, and it was just for her entertainment, would this be an appropriate gift for a student?  also what might the range of value be?

thanks....Wes

Answer
Dear Wesley

The Cabart you have will be the original manufacturer. Check the trade mark it should a flat and a sharp and a natural sign and Cabart a Paris somewhere on the body or bell.

It will be French but not the Cabart 74 made by Loree since - 1974!

If you would like to send me a picture by all means do so. Send to : geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com

It certainly would be a great gift for a student. Its value would not be huge I'm afraid. Something like $2000 maximum I suggest.

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge