Oboe/Plastic oboes

Question
Hi I have some questions for you about oboes:

1.Do you know is it worth to buy a plastic oboe for school and for children to play on it?
2.Do you know anything about plastic oboes "Marchi"?
3.Which plastic oboe or woodden oboe would you recommend to me to buy if I have for example 500-800 Euros and need to buy for young students?

I really appreciate for your answers and best regards!
Patrick

Answer
Hello Patrick, thank you for your question. A quality built plastic oboe is a fine option for a young student to play. A plastic oboe, or an oboe with a plastic top will insure that your family will not have to worry about top joint cracks under normal playing conditions. At a beginner level, there is not enough differential between wood and plastic, to worry the young student with cracking issues. I have not personally heard of the Marchi brand. If your child has an oboe instructor, then this professional musician should be involved in evaluating the quality of the oboe BEFORE you commit to buying it. Here are some helpful links for you to visit which will provide you important oboe information. Martin SCHURING, Professor of oboe at ASU (link) http://www.public.asu.edu/~schuring/Oboe/instruments.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSAllHtkaa0&feature=relmfu  This is a wonderful introduction to oboe with Hugh Downs as the narrator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNaS_jy3_eI&feature=related     This a 60 minute detailed informational guide to oboes, by the United States Army Field Band Oboe Section. The information on oboe costs is slightly outdated, but the introductory information is quite useful.
The Yamaha Company makes a delightful beginning oboe, the model 211 (now discontinued, but can be found easily in the secondary markets), and the newer model 241. Both of these oboes are excellent beginner oboes to test the aptitude and interest of the beginner student. The Yamaha is within your price range.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Best regards, hannah

Oboe

Hannah Selznick