Oboe/Tuning an Oboe

Can you please explain what pitches or specific notes to tune an oboe to?

Dear Tony
I am away at the moment but can give you a short answer.
I think what you mean is the length of the reed that gives you a workable pitch. I tune to A at 441 where possible and this is achieved with. Reed length of about 71mm with my oboe.
I like to use a tuning meter and get the bottom D in tune and then make sure that the A is not too sharp. If it is I make certain the lip is relaxed and bring down these upper notes, the left hand top joint notes that is, are lipped down

Try that and get back to me if I'm in the wrong ball park with your question.

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed