Oboe/English Horn Cabart

Question
After years of borrowing a pretty good Rigoutat English Horn she wanted it back. Despair. But within a week I found a beautifully sounding professional Cabart English Horn. Since the sounds was incredibly smooth even up to c" i have bought him! For 2000 Euro.
Revision took place three years ago, and everything seems to work just fine. I have been told that this was really a professional instrument, I tend to believe this with regard to the smooth sound.
It reads "Cabart a Paris", just like my first (soprano) oboe 50 years ago. Serial number is "5E80".
Can you tell me more about the origin and whether it really IS a prof? How old it is would also be very interesting. On sites form Loree I cannot find any 'retrieval' system or something like that, and viewing past questions and answers on this site on the subject look promising !

Answer
Dear Tammo

It is very difficult to find a serial number list for Cabart instruments. I have never seen one in fact.
They made hundreds of oboes and cors during their lifetime as a company. They ceased trading in 1974 and Loree tool the name over for their intermediate oboe line which is made to this day.

They are most definitely professional instruments and were used widely in the world. Some of them nearer the time of their collapse in the 1970s were made by Malerne and are very good indeed. Marigaux base their current cor anglais on that design from Malerne.

They were popular in the early 1900s in the Europe and in the UK the Queens Hall Orchestra of 1900, the cor player used a Cabart instrument.
I would hazard a guess that it will be definitely a pre second world war instrument and that at 2000 you did well.

They are usually quite light weight in wall thickness and timbre but smooth as you say.
Some say that the cors are better than the oboes.

If you send me your email address I will let you have a short history of Cabart - in French! It is quite interesting. Just a few pages in a Word document.
Send me also a picture if you can to:

geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge