Oboe/Looking for Oboe Tutor

Can you direct me to a qualified oboe tutor in Cape Town area - we are relocating back to South Africa from the US in August 2013.  My son is 14 and plays the oboe for his school and we would like him to continue to learn with the view of attending university for a B Mus degree.

We will be based in Saldanha, so someone near Cape Town or on the West Coast would be ideal.

Dear Wayne

I am afraid that I don't know the South african scene but I do know someone who does. I contacted them today and they have replied thus...
My colleague Christine Griggs played there a few years ago and here is her response.
This is in Parrow/Belville, in northern suburbs area of Cape Town. The head of woodwind there is  John  Rojas  oboe/cor anglais , originally from USA,   who played next to me in the orchestra. He also had a bass oboe - the first one I ever saw!  Now he is on the management board of Beausoleil.   This music school is thriving with string players too.  The website says they have a second oboe teacher,  Ioanna Matei.  
The South African College of Music  is part of  University of Cape Town,  and is situated beside the Baxter Concert Hall.  It has a multitude of practice/teaching rooms, but offers mainly jazz & technical studies. I met the head of woodwind, a lively clarinet/sax player, Becky Steltzner, briefly when on holiday there in 2009.  But I cannot find the name of an oboe teacher on the website.  

I would recommend John Rojas.  

So there you have it.

Hope this helps. I think John Rojas sounds promising

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed