Oboe/Reed

Question
Hi Geoffry,

I play on Rigoutat Expression. Normally my reeds are tied on 74.5 mm, cut on 72mm. I use chiarugi 47. The problem is they are much too sharp on my oboe, around 447. I need to play in 443. I've tried to adjust my embouchure but it didn't give much effect and very tiring. It only happened in this Rigoutat. I tried with some other brand and it's working. I would like to know if there is a way to make it better. Should I use longer tube, or tie shorter, cut longer? I'll wait for your reply. Thank you

Best Regards,
Billy

Answer
Billy
Sorry to be so long in replying I am away at the moment from my computer.
On the faceof it it seems that everything should work for you but this high pitch is annoying.
You could try a wider shape but you may encounter stability problems on the first octave notes.
Could it be your Riggy is built to A 444 and this causes the trouble? It is hard to tell because the oboe will have no indication on it.
Try a narrower chim ey staple such Loree or Chiarugi 2 at 47mm. This will result in a longer reed as the sides close earlier. You will have to experiment.
Don't bind on past the end of the staple and you will be surprised how much longer the tied on length is. Then try 73mm finished length.
Another idea is to get a ferrule set from oboe.shop.de which fills in the gap between a staple pulled out which isn't a good idea.
Try the 2mm disc and see if that helps and also keep your embouchure relaxed!!
Best wishes
Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge