Hi Geoffrey

I have a question about reeds.
I have started my reed making in an odd way. I started with buying reeds, learning how to fix the reed I bought to suit me and finally to buying blank reeds and make the scraping from  scratch.
My best reeds are those which I fixed from DeVere reeds at Regency reeds http://www.regencyreeds.com/oboereeddevere.html)
Now I am about to buy gouged and shaped cane but I donīt know what size and shaper I should choose. Can you advise me?

Dear Peter

As you have success with De Vere reeds from Regency why not ask David Blyth, who makes the reeds at Regency, for guidance on the shape which he uses for the DeVere reed. It may not be available commercially of course. Try email on: admin@regencyreeds.com

He can only say no but I doubt that he will. He should offer you some guidance. He may offer to sell you gouged and shaped.

If there is no luck on that front come back to me and start again! It is a narrow shape and a Roseaux Chantant RC11 may be close. This is a copy of the Michel narrow shape which is popular.

Have a chat to Hieko Frosch at "oboe-shop.de" in Frankfurt. He will be helpful too and supply you with canes.

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed