Oboe/A.Robert-Paris Bassoon

Mr. Bridge;

I read a response on an A Robert oboe that you had posted. I've just been blessed to get an A. Robert bassoon for $500.00 for my son who plays sax but wants to branch out to dbl reed and symphonic for scholarship potential. What if anything can you tell me about these bassoons? Or, can you point me in the right direction. Whatever you can offer I'd appreciate.

Dear Robert

Alexandre Robert was manufacturing from 1895 - 1925 so if it is genuine might be quite a delicate beast!

Robert made and/or sold flutes, oboes ,clarinets and bassoons. He had been a foreman at the Thibouville-Cabart factory until setting up on his own.. He made very good oboes though and was a rival of Loree the early 1900s.

Could you send me a photo or two although I am not really a bassoon expert I might know someone who can help.

Send photos to

and I'll pick them up there.

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed