Oboe/Ferrules to lower pitch

Question
Hi Geoff
In a recent answer you mentioned the use of brass ferrules from oboe.shop.de to lower the pitch. I have a consistent problem with playing sharp so I thought I would investigate this option, until I saw how much they cost! I was wondering if it would be possible to use a nylon bush instead. Being slightly flexible these would be less damaging to the socket, could be adjusted with a file/grinder and would be about 1% of the cost of brass. The only objection I could think of is if the brass ferrules actually have a conical bore (however slight), since these would be cylindrical. What do you think?

Answer
Dear Ian

I am in the process of reviewing these brass ferrules from oboeshop.de.for the Double Reed News the magazine of the British Double Reed Society.
If you send me an email to geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com with your email address, I have a suggestion for you which you might like to follow up.
This involves helping with the review.

Let me know if you are interested, intrigued, whatever!!

Best wishes
Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge