Oboe/Ferrules to lower pitch

Hi Geoff
In a recent answer you mentioned the use of brass ferrules from to lower the pitch. I have a consistent problem with playing sharp so I thought I would investigate this option, until I saw how much they cost! I was wondering if it would be possible to use a nylon bush instead. Being slightly flexible these would be less damaging to the socket, could be adjusted with a file/grinder and would be about 1% of the cost of brass. The only objection I could think of is if the brass ferrules actually have a conical bore (however slight), since these would be cylindrical. What do you think?

Dear Ian

I am in the process of reviewing these brass ferrules from the Double Reed News the magazine of the British Double Reed Society.
If you send me an email to with your email address, I have a suggestion for you which you might like to follow up.
This involves helping with the review.

Let me know if you are interested, intrigued, whatever!!

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed