Oboe/Oboe Identification

Over view of Oboe
Over view of Oboe  

Oboe Bell
Oboe Bell  
Hello Mr. Bridge.  I recently found an about while traveling and am not sure as to how old it could be or who the maker is.  The stamps say Artisan Madebas but I can't find any other info on it.  I've attached a photo for the key work that it has. Do you know what type of wood it might be made out of?  Thank you for any info you might have.

Matt Jaffray

Dear Matt

I am afraid that I don't have any information about the maker.
I can tell you that the oboe is made after a Triebert system 4 without bottom B flat.
It has rings for the right hand joint and the typical keywork of the system which came into being around 1845 ish! However the keys look quite modern in construction and more 20th century. For me therefore a bit of a mystery. Could be a student or "band" oboe. I wonder what pitch it plays at comfortably. A=440 or above?

Sorry I not much help but the names stamped on the oboe don't mean anything to me.

Best wishes

PS the material looks like African Blackwood from the pictures

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed