Oboe/Selmer oboe and Linton oboe

I have had a Linton oboe in my possession since the 1970s and I am unsure about the age and value of the instrument.  It has Linton imprinted on top of the outline of a bird with spread wings, and below that USA Paris is imprinted.  This is on the bottom section, which is otherwise plain.  I believe it is a wooden instrument, and is playable but could use some repair.  Also, I recently purchased a Selmer oboe.  This oboe has B 72077 imprinted on the top two sections.  The bottom section is also plain.  The Selmer seems to play well, but I am picking this up again after 30 years of not playing.  Are these both student models and how can I determine their worth?  Thank you very much.

Dear Wanda

The Linton "Paris" oboes were made in France by Cabart; I think I am right in saying from early 1960s until Cabart closed in the early 1970s.
The value of a full system oboe made of wood- if yours is - is not too bad these days. Probably around $600 if it is in good shape.

The Selmer I can't identify from the serial number so you would have to send me a picture or two.
In fact a picture of both of your oboes would be an enormous help in identification.

If you can photograph them send the pictures to:

Now I will be away from my desk after Friday for a few days so you wont get an immediate reply from me.

A rough guess would indicate that the Linton might be an intermediate model and the Selmer a student oboe. But let's have a look !

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed