Oboe/Shaper profiles revisited.

dear Mr. Bridge,

I have a Loree (standard bore) oboe and a Bulgheroni amore. Glotin cane & tubes supplied by De Gourdon seem to work well for my Loree, although I don't know exactly which shape I'm using - Glotin's own (which seems quite wide) or a narrower Loree-shaped Glotin cane.

I have a ReedsnStuff shaper which came with a Berlin profile oboe shaper guide, giving me opportunities to tinker with shapes.   I note you have mentioned in previous replies here that Berlin is suitable for your Rigoutat Evo.  Could Berlin work for a standard Loree?  How flexible is this shape?

My reasoning for asking this question is that reading Udo Heng's chart for shaper profiles, there are similarities between the middling oboe shapes and narrower amore shapes - ie Berlin (oboe) & H105 (amore).  I was wondering if shaping Amore cane with an oboe shaper (assuming the lengths are similar) is ever done, or whether this is just going to cause problems down the road.  

It would be wonderful to have a review of the shapes you've tried and the instruments you've found work (or not) with these in one place as a resource similar to your comments a few years ago about wider shapes on the Greenline vs Loree oboes.  Any advice will be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks.

Dera Robin

Many many apologies for not responding sooner I have been snowed under with things not mainly oboe related!
Your idea of my "doing" a big survey of shapes/staples/oboes has been mooted before and I might still get round to it. I am heavily involved with BDRS matters at the moment and time is short.
To answer your questions though...
The Berlin is a narrow shape compared to Glotin and others of the wider variety such as Rigoutat -2 and RDG -2. The Loree shape is a little narrower to better accommodate the narrower chimney of the Loree staple and bore combination. Having said that Nick Daniel when he played the Loree Regular bore used the RDG -2 shape style. Schellenberger on a Loree uses the Berlin style which is narrower than the Glotin. They can all be made to work. So much depends on the synergy of reed shape/oboe/embouchure and what is comfortable for the player. wide shapes do cause sagging in the middle register and more difficult top notes but warm things up downa the bottom. You then find that you need lots of mouth influence to play in tune. I like the Berlin on my Loree oboe it works well so persevere with that. There is a good balance in the ease of production in all registers.

I can use an oboe shape on the machine for d'amore reeds. I use a wide RC15 from Roseaux Chantant or Udo Heng's Thomas shape. The RC15 is quite wide for oboe and not hugely successful on any of my oboes with my embouchure at least. D'amore though is OK but as I usually buy ready made da'more reeds I haven't persevered too much with that route.

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed