Oboe/Vintage oboe value

QUESTION: I have an oboe that I'd like to know the value of. From the marking on the bell, I've determined it to be made by Oscar Adler & Co. I cannot find any other identifying numbers, though. It is in good condition and the wood is beautiful, and the keys seem to be in good working order, though it probably needs to be inspected/adjusted by a repair specialist. Is there any way to find out how much it's worth? Any info would be appreciated.

ANSWER: Daniel, thank you for the email. It would be especially helpful if you would provide me a photo of the oboe so I can determine more information about it that is useful to you. I will await a photo and then reply promptly. Thank you, hannah

Oboe in case
Oboe in case  

Oboe put together
Oboe put together  
QUESTION: Okay, here's some pics of the Oboe. It didn't come with a case so the one in the picture is a case that I'd bought to put it in.

I tried to get a shot of the Adler logo but it's not easy to see. It has an eagle with the letters O. A. & Co. and the phrase 'shutz-marke' underneath, and looks exactly like the one on the http://www.moennig-adler.de website.

Also, I forgot that I did take the oboe to a repairman a while back and he replaced most of the corks and pads. It's been a while since I took the oboe out of the case. I've only played it a few times.

Okay, Daniel, I found your photos! Sorry for the previous email reply. This oboe is QUITE old. It looks like it may be an automatic or possibly a thumb plate because of the configuration of the octave keys. It's really a collector's item. It's not a modern day oboe, and doesn't match any of the oboes on the Adler site. It has open holes, and I didn't see a Bb on the bell.
It could be worth a few hundred dollars for an oboe collector. It is quite beautiful! and looks to be in great shape. I hope this helps. Thanks, hannah

Hannah Selznick

I have the expertise to answer questions about all brands and models of oboes and English Horns. I will assist in providing information about the process of purchasing and selling an instrument. I know reputable oboe specialist repairmen to recommend. I give guidance on oboe and English Horn reeds. I offer guidance on maintenance and handling of oboes and English Horns and help owners troubleshoot instrument issues.

I have been an instructor of oboe and instrumental music for almost 40 years. I have taught all grade levels from preschool music to college oboe (double reed specialist)instruction. I perform with a professional symphony in the Phoenix area. I also have an active teaching studio. I love what I do, especially in regards to educating future generations of musicians.

International Double Reed Society

BS.ED (Music) University of Missouri MM in Oboe Performance University of Tulsa Post Graduate Work in Oboe at Catholic University of America

Who's Who in America

I have public and private educational institutions as clients; as well as a national referral base of studio teachers and oboe instructors.