Oboe/Loree or Chauvet and value?

I recently purchased what I was told was a 1930's era Loree oboe from a reputable music store for $2500 as a graduation gift for my daughter. The oboe was in great condition for its age and had the Loree marking on the bell. When we got it home, though, we discovered that the body of the oboe is not Loree, but is actually marked "Chauvet a Paris" with a serial number of AC 170. My daughter likes the sound and feel of the oboe and wants to keep it. I, however, am feeling a little foolish that the oboe we purchased is not as it was represented to us.  The price seemed reasonable for a vintage Loree, but not for a Chauvet with a mismatched bell. I would like to contact the music store for either a refund or an adjustment in the price, but am not sure how much of a price adjustment I should ask for.  What do you think this oboe is actually worth? Is it even worth keeping? (FYI: the keys show a little wear, but the wood is in great condition, only a few tiny scratches, and the sound, though not perfectly clear, is of good quality for an older model oboe. It looks like its previous owner took good care of it.) Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Ken, thank you for your email. Your situation happens all the time. Purchasing an oboe should include being able to have a week to evaluate the instrument and show it to an independent service tech to evaluate before you finalize the sale. Any oboe from the 1930's raises a flag depending on what the intentions are of your daughter to continue playing the oboe. If she is planning on majoring in music education or performance in college, then the oboe will probably not meet the standards of the instructor. Servicing an oboe of that age will be high maintenance moving forward. The silver is probably soft, and the bore needs to be examined for intactness. The fact that the store sold you a "Loree" means you paid premium for the instrument. What is the serial number of the part that you consider is a Loree?  A Chauvet oboe from the 30's might only be worth $1000.00 and it would have to be in really great shape. Putting too much faith in the words of a music store can be fought with discrepancies of information and facts.  
I would like to recommend the following website link which offers objective information for persons in the process of purchasing an oboe/EH, as well as general oboe/EH information.
Martin SCHURING, Professor of oboe at ASU (link)

In my experience, if the oboe was misrepresented, then it should be returned. A purchase of an oboe is a process that needs to include professionals who can instruct you as to what specifically you are planning on purchasing and whether it's the best instrument for your daughter's specific needs.

You will have an incredibly tough time reselling the oboe as is. The tuning of the 1930's on the oboe may cause your daughter to not match her colleagues while playing in an ensemble.

I hope this has been helpful. Thanks, hannah

Hannah Selznick

I have the expertise to answer questions about all brands and models of oboes and English Horns. I will assist in providing information about the process of purchasing and selling an instrument. I know reputable oboe specialist repairmen to recommend. I give guidance on oboe and English Horn reeds. I offer guidance on maintenance and handling of oboes and English Horns and help owners troubleshoot instrument issues.

I have been an instructor of oboe and instrumental music for almost 40 years. I have taught all grade levels from preschool music to college oboe (double reed specialist)instruction. I perform with a professional symphony in the Phoenix area. I also have an active teaching studio. I love what I do, especially in regards to educating future generations of musicians.

International Double Reed Society

BS.ED (Music) University of Missouri MM in Oboe Performance University of Tulsa Post Graduate Work in Oboe at Catholic University of America

Who's Who in America

I have public and private educational institutions as clients; as well as a national referral base of studio teachers and oboe instructors.