Oboe/Martin Freres 1740 Oboe

Hi Geoffrey,

I noticed last year you were asked a question concerning a Martin Freres oboe. This was your response "Hi Felipe

There is some confusion about the Martin Freres brand. They actually specialised in clarinets and flutes so I wonder if the oboe was actually made by them! The ceased trading in 1927 and became Martel Freres they flourished in PAris until the second world war." that conversation was in 2012.

I'm making inquires with others but wanted to if you had information since I also have a Martin Freres oboe.(1740). I'm curious to know just how rare it is. I appreciate your time and any knowledge you have on this subject. I'm going to restore it but it's missing the bell and I don't know how difficult it will be to get a original part. The company seems to only restore 1740 Clarinets.
Best Regards,

Dear Michael

There is now a Martin Freres company in California which markets mainly clarinets. The 1740 model appears on other wind instruments as a brand name. I would think the oboes were made by Cabart . To judge the year look at the trademark and compare it with the pictures on their website under "history".

The only bet is to find something on ebay. They sell for $350 -400 There may be a poor specimen which has a good bell for less than this.

Other than that take it to a good oboe dealer and see if there are any spare bells form Cabart oboes around or even anything that will fit.

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed