Oboe/baroque oboe

Hi Geoffrey,
I've been a fan of yours for some time now; your advice is wonderful. Now I have a new question: there is a baroque oboe made by JB Wicks for sale on ebay. However, I can't find any sort of reference for JB Wicks. Have you any information?
Yes, I know...there could be cracks etc; but it seems to me that a baroque oboe is far less complex therefore less of a risk to buy, sight unseen. What do you think?
Best regards,

Dear Jill

John Wickes - note the spelling - is a highly respected maker of copies of flutes and oboes from the baroque period.

I havent an address for him but I can give you a website purporting to deal with him and sell his instruments.
So try them:  http://abbeywoodwinds.com/baroque.instruments.htm

They are selling them for about 499 so I would think that what you say about complexity is probably true. You might seek an overhaul and check later from the man himself?

No doubt you have photographs to see before you buy.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed