Oboe/baroque oboe

Question
Hi Geoffrey,
I've been a fan of yours for some time now; your advice is wonderful. Now I have a new question: there is a baroque oboe made by JB Wicks for sale on ebay. However, I can't find any sort of reference for JB Wicks. Have you any information?
Yes, I know...there could be cracks etc; but it seems to me that a baroque oboe is far less complex therefore less of a risk to buy, sight unseen. What do you think?
Best regards,
Jill

Answer
Dear Jill

John Wickes - note the spelling - is a highly respected maker of copies of flutes and oboes from the baroque period.

I havent an address for him but I can give you a website purporting to deal with him and sell his instruments.
So try them:  http://abbeywoodwinds.com/baroque.instruments.htm

They are selling them for about 499 so I would think that what you say about complexity is probably true. You might seek an overhaul and check later from the man himself?

No doubt you have photographs to see before you buy.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Geoffrey  

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge