Oboe/Need info on my oboe

Question
oboe
oboe  

oboe
oboe  
Hi,sure hope you can help me with this oboe. I inherited it & know nothing about it except it is pretty old. I can't find any info on the name "Linx and Long" & that is the only mark I find on it. I can't find any numbers on it either (except the #11) & I see on Ebay others show that. It is wooden, but is it silver or silverplate? So, do you know age, value, or anything else that would help me. Sure do appreciate any info you could send. Thanks a million!!

Answer
Dear Ramona

I am a little mystified. I have never heard of this company before.
What you have there is an oboe probably made by Cabaret or Malerne in France and stamped by the company that sold it. That would be "Linx and Long".
The keywork looks like silver plate to me as I can see some bits of wear here and there. I reckon it is about pre WW2 in age. Value of these oldsters is so hard to find. Not a lot I'm afraid around $750 maybe at best if it plays reasonably.

Sorry not to be more helpful and if anyone reading this knows better do please let us know.

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge