Oboe/Rigoutat Oboe Age and Value

Hi Geoffrey,

I've been trying to figure out how old my oboe is, and happened upon the allexperts site and hope you can help me. I got my oboe 2nd hand from my teacher back in 1997 or so, but don't know much about it.  It's a Rigoutat, serial number 147X. Do you know approximately how old it is? From your other answers, it seems like it should be a Classique model (it has a bell ring)-- can you tell me anything else about it?  I'm also curious to know it's approximate value.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Dear Sierra

The serial number with a single "X" suggests to me that the oboe is quite early and made in about 1958.
It would be made by Roland Rigoutat and his tiny staff. Roland was the son of the originator of the company, Charles Rigoutat from 1922.
It would be a Classique as this was the only oboe model they made at that time.

It's value in the USA if it plays well would be around $1500 - $2000 at the most.
Repairers don't like looking after these old timers as it is often difficult to get them to play well. So look after it!!

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed