Oboe/Cor anglais cane - shape?!

Question
Hi Geoffrey,

My friend and I, who play in our spare time, recently lost our source for Cor anglais reeds when another friend retired. We decided to go back to making our own reeds. I decided to order gouged and shaped, because we don't have a shaper for Cor. I am totally in the dark about what shape to get (and what gouge as well). I play a rigoutat Cor and my friend plays howarth. I was looking at alliaud cane at oboe shop, because I have used it before. Any suggestions???

Thanks so much.

Answer
Dear Rachel

I think I answered this question a few days ago but I'll have another go. You actually marked me very highly too for which very many thanks.

I have another suggestion/ Try the Kreedo website in Germany. Here is the address to go straight to the cor pages.

https://www.kreedo.de/en/Oboe/Tube-Cane/Gouged-and-shaped-cane/Cor-Anglais/Shaped-Cor-Anglais-cane-soft-10-pcs.html

I would give that one a go. It is soft and the shape is the middle of the range. Try that on both your instruments and see how that suits.

Meanwhile my answer from last time is below:

I don't actually make my own cor reeds as I spend hours making oboe reeds which is my main focus. I am usually hired to play the first oboe parts!
When I needed cor reeds last week I bought four KGE reeds from TW Howarth in London and wow they all work! So I am no real expert on suggestions for cane and shape.
I suggest though that you try Alliaud canes and KGE canes in H116 which a standard average sort of tip width of reed.
There are so many variables to choose from; try some different ones. Shapes are a matter of taste.
I would select the middle of the road first and see what goes. Wider ones do tend to sound warm but not so good at the top and much then depends on the crook you are using.
As I say SO many variables!

Best of luck and do ask again if I can help further. Note that I am having a little time away from AllExperts until January, after this Friday.

Have a good seasonal holiday.

Very best with all your double reeding in 2015.

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge