Oboe/KGE, rigoutat -2

Hi Geoffrey,
I just read some of your past answers. In one of them you mentioned about the KGE blank reeds. Which length are they tied on the 47mm staple, and how is it working at the moment?

The other thing, is the rigoutat -2 a common shape? I want to combine it with the Chiarugi 47 2. Do you think it's a good idea? If yes in which length I should tie on and finish it? I played on a Yamaha 831, 443 Hz.

I'm looking forward for your answer. Thanks.

Hi Billy

Thank you for your question.
Yes I have used KGE blanks with 46mm staples. I hav just checked the length and they are 73mm uncut. I usually finish with a reed that is 70.5 to 71 mm to get a 441 pitch. I like a 441 pitch so that I don't end up squeezing up all the time and wrecking my embouchure!!

I think that with the 47mm staple the result will be 74mm in length. KGE's usual reed length is 72mm finished, with a shortish scrape.

The Rigoutat -2 is quite a common shape. Francois Leleux uses it, Maurice Bourgue, Nick Daniel and Ramon Ortega all have found success with it. That is not to say that they use it constantly. Oboists everywhere experiment with shapes especially nowadays when there are so many different ones available.

I am quite sure that the -2 will fit the Chiarugi 47-2. The staple is wider at the top than the Loree staple and narrower than the Glotin which I think is an equivalent Chiarugi 47-5. You will get the -2 to fit but might end up tying on at about 75. I reckon that the slightly wider staples might give you a better fit but try it. Whatever you do please don't close the sides until one turn of the twine before the top of the staple. Otherwise it will not sit well and cross and vibrate badly.

Best of luck

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed