Oboe/Which oboe is better?

Question
Hi and thanks ahead of time. My 6th grade daughter has been playing a student rental Yamaha 006523 for a year. Her cousin will give her a 20+ year old selmer B42455.
I suspect both are student, entry level... She states both play the same to her entry level ears.. Thoughts on either oboe? And advice on step up oboes for down the road?

Answer
Thank you for your question. You don't mention what model of the Yamaha you are renting; however the Yamaha brand is a better and more well regarded brand than the Selmer. If the Yamaha is providing you proper service; you will be wise to stick to the Yamaha oboe. You will need to evaluate how long you will want to rent an oboe vs. when to buy. Selmer is highly regarded as a maker of saxophones; but not oboes. Selmer oboes are not generally a brand requested by studio instructors on behalf of their students. Happy to follow up with you upon request. Best regards, hannah

Oboe

Hannah Selznick