Oboe/F. Loree Paris oboe

Question
Hello,

I have purchased an F. Loree Paris oboe from Ebay with the intent of using it for college in a couple of years, and I was told that it was a professional model. Now I'm beginning to wonder because the other day I went to a local oboist to purchase some reeds, and she had her oboe set up there, and it was considerably thicker than mine (yes, it was an oboe, not an english horn or anything like that). It seemed to be almost as thick as my clarinet. Below is a link of an oboe that looks very similar to mine, although it's a different brand:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Freres-Paris-France-wood-oboe-with-Low-Bb-Ready-t

Now with my Loree oboe, the diameter of that "round" thing near the receiver on the upper joint is about 7/8 of an inch, and the bell diameter is about two inches. The overall length is just shy of 24 inches. On the back the writing reads L77 on all the joints.

Now, because this oboe was made at the latest during the 1930's (it could possibly have been made in the 1920's or earlier, according to what the seller said when he had it verified), could this still be a professional level instrument, despite of how much thinner it is to a modern Loree? Were these dimensions acceptable to professional level oboes back in those days? Also I don't see the name "Cabart" written anywhere on my oboe, which is Loree's intermediate line, so that means that my oboe is beyond the intermediate level, right? Were only the professional level Loree's made in Paris?

Thanks for any help in shedding some light on this issue.

Answer
George, thank you for your question. I would like to ask you more about one of your earlier statements about "getting the oboe to use in college in a couple of years." Are you planning on studying music as a profession? Either music ed or music performance? Also, do you have an oboe instructor? If so, did you receive guidance before buying the oboe through Ebay? An instrument that is almost 100 years old, when professional or student level is going to be designed differently than modern day instruments. Old Loree oboes had a thinner wall design, and the bell is different in design as well. The tuning will probably be different than modern day instruments you will come across in ensembles at school. The Cabart brand was acquired by Loree in 1974. Before that, Cabart made full conservatory oboes. Loree Cabart74 oboes have the solid D key along side the banana C. The L77 does not sound like a Loree serial number which has two letters and two numbers.  Oboes that are as old as the one you may have purchased will have silver that is quite soft. Can you attach a photo of your specific oboe with any markings of brand and one photo with the oboe in its case so I can take a look as the specific instrument?
Was there a return policy? Thank you in advance for your additional information. Not all oboes that are considered professional level are appropriately made for school use. Sincerest, hannah

Oboe

Hannah Selznick