Oboe/Staples fit very loosely

Question
Dear Geoffrey,

I play a Puchner oboe which has a very wide reed well, much wider than other instruments. The reeds fit very loosely in the oboe. I use 47mm Loree staples.

I've been solving this problem by wrapping cigarette paper around the cork. However, recently I discovered that it effects the overall response of the instrument and it takes off the vibrations. The tone quality becomes narrow and it has very poor resonance.

Is it possible to buy staples with very thick cork? I've been looking around, but all I could find were staples with much or less same cork thickness. Do you know any other solution for this problem?

Best regards!
Mojca

Answer
Dear Mojca

I know the problem!

You are using staples form Loree which are slightly narrower than the standard staple. They are loose in my oboes except the Loree.

I suggest that you get in touch with Nissen Oboe Staples in Denmark. He makes a plastic material staple with three O- rings as seals. They will work for you as you can change the size of the O ring and get a good fit that way.
Website: www.oboetube.com  They work beautifully.

Alternatively a Chiarugi copy from www.oboes.ch might be good. Ask them for their widest diameter staple to fit your Puchner oboe.

I agree that the cigarette paper is not a solution to your problem. It stifles the vibrations and makes the oboe "dead".

Best of luck

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge