Oboe/Staples fit very loosely

Dear Geoffrey,

I play a Puchner oboe which has a very wide reed well, much wider than other instruments. The reeds fit very loosely in the oboe. I use 47mm Loree staples.

I've been solving this problem by wrapping cigarette paper around the cork. However, recently I discovered that it effects the overall response of the instrument and it takes off the vibrations. The tone quality becomes narrow and it has very poor resonance.

Is it possible to buy staples with very thick cork? I've been looking around, but all I could find were staples with much or less same cork thickness. Do you know any other solution for this problem?

Best regards!

Dear Mojca

I know the problem!

You are using staples form Loree which are slightly narrower than the standard staple. They are loose in my oboes except the Loree.

I suggest that you get in touch with Nissen Oboe Staples in Denmark. He makes a plastic material staple with three O- rings as seals. They will work for you as you can change the size of the O ring and get a good fit that way.
Website:  They work beautifully.

Alternatively a Chiarugi copy from might be good. Ask them for their widest diameter staple to fit your Puchner oboe.

I agree that the cigarette paper is not a solution to your problem. It stifles the vibrations and makes the oboe "dead".

Best of luck

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed