Oboe/Unknown Oboe

Question
QUESTION: Hello. I purchased an oboe a few months ago and I've been trying to find out the year it was made and the value. I have gone to countless stores to see if they would know but they did not. I was told it was in great condition for the age it looked. The serial is AM86. Any help would be graciously accepted. Thank you

ANSWER: Thanks for your note. If the oboe is a Loree; then it was manufactured around 1943. I hope it is working okay for you, and that you didn't pay too much. If you have any additional questions, or want to send a photo, please do. hannnah

QUESTION: yes. it is a Loree. Do you have an idea of how much it is worth?

Answer
A Loree in the A series could be worth a few hundred dollars to a thousand or so depending on the condition. Oboes of that vintage are quite fragile; the silver is soft, and if the oboe doesn't have the left hand F key; it is less desirable for a student's use. The bore condition also affects the value. The older instruments of that age tend to play a bit sharp due to the smaller bore design of the time and the aging of the wood. Any cracks, and the extent of the repairs may have a negative effect on value. Thanks for checking in. hannah  

Oboe

Hannah Selznick