Oboe/value of oboe

Question
I purchased a Loree oboe from Ray Still in about 1970. The serial number is BJ48 (it's a little hard to tell if it's a 4 and if the 3 is an 8 even using my magnifying glass). It's in good condition. Throughout the years I kept it well maintained until about 2001.

I'm interested in how much value is left in it.

Answer
Hi Mary

Sorry you have had to wait for my reply. I have been away from my desk for a few days.

The oboe you have is probably from around 1963/64. As such it has an approximate value of between $2500 and $3000.
The fact that Ray Still had some connection with the instrument might be of interest to someone.
I presume it is a standard regular bore Loree perhaps with a 3rd octave key or perhaps not. That in fact wouldn't make a huge difference.

Buying great oboists' oboes is not always a guarantee of huge interest from buyers.
Chicago might though be a good place to start if you can find a dealer there to sell it for you.

Try these guys...www.oboechicago.com
Oboe Chicago , 28569 Edgewood Avenue, Cary, Illinois, 60013
(847) 815-9644

Email:
shawna@oboechicago.com

Best of luck and remember best value is inherent in how the oboe plays to the potential buyer when s/he picks it up.

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge