Oboe/Linton English horn

I have an unknown English horn from my relative and he said he purchased it in Korea about 20 years ago. He said he used to play on it fine but haven't played it for years. I don't see any crack and it looks pretty clean. It's in the Linton case and the serial number is Q29173.
I've tried to find out the its worth but can't find the history of the instrument nor the brand.
Do you have any idea how much worth it will be? It includes one bocal.

Thank you,

ANSWER: Julie, thank you for your question. It would be most helpful for me to see a photo or two of the key mechanisms to provide you a more accurate response to your question of value. Linton is a brand that does not have a strong return value in general. Other mitigating issues is the quality and condition which would require a qualified oboe specialist to examine the instrument in detail. Please reply with a photo or two and I will reply promptly. In general depending on the key mechanisms, condition of the bore etc; the instrument might be worth a few hundred dollars. hannah

bottom joint
bottom joint  

top joint
top joint  
QUESTION: Thank you so much for your quick answer.

Julie, nice photos. There is a repair shop in Los Angeles; RDG Woodwinds. They can give you an estimate of what services the instrument needs to be able to sell it; as well as examine the bore/wood etc to get it ready to sell. I think once it's all serviced up; you might be able to sell it for $1000 or so. Thanks again. hannah

Hannah Selznick

I have the expertise to answer questions about all brands and models of oboes and English Horns. I will assist in providing information about the process of purchasing and selling an instrument. I know reputable oboe specialist repairmen to recommend. I give guidance on oboe and English Horn reeds. I offer guidance on maintenance and handling of oboes and English Horns and help owners troubleshoot instrument issues.

I have been an instructor of oboe and instrumental music for almost 40 years. I have taught all grade levels from preschool music to college oboe (double reed specialist)instruction. I perform with a professional symphony in the Phoenix area. I also have an active teaching studio. I love what I do, especially in regards to educating future generations of musicians.

International Double Reed Society

BS.ED (Music) University of Missouri MM in Oboe Performance University of Tulsa Post Graduate Work in Oboe at Catholic University of America

Who's Who in America

I have public and private educational institutions as clients; as well as a national referral base of studio teachers and oboe instructors.