Oboe/Philadelphia key

Question
Hello!

When,who,and why the Philadelphia key is create ?Thank you

Jean
Montréal

Answer
Hi Jean
I must apologise for my late reply to your question. Events sometimes overtake us don't they?

The Philly Key
It was invented to improve the slurring up to top D from below especially from a G I think.
If you don't have this additional key,  In practice you can put down half the D plate by using the left hand E flat key. This depresses the split ring under the D key leaving the hole smaller. The Philly key actually is usually adjusted to almost but not quite close the ring completely where as the left hand E flat closes it entirely and also opens the E flat pad which is not as good.
The key was invented in Philadelphia I think by the great repair man Hans Moennig who worked extensively to improve oboes key systems and bore and bells with the great French oboist Marcel Tabuteau who played in the Philadelphia orchestra, taught at Curtis where he was responsible for the "American School" of oboe playing.
If anyone out there is certain who invented the Philly Key do let me know as I am surmising that Hans Moennig was the invented!!

Very best and sorry to be late

Geoffrey  

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge