Oboe/Unknown Oboe

Selmer Oboe
Selmer Oboe  

Several years ago I've bought this oboe for my daughter. She has since moved out, and told me I could have it. However I know nothing about it since I cannot find any serial number on it. Can you please tell me what you can about it and the potential price I can sell it for?

Thank you.

Dear Quinn

The picture shows a Selmer 1492B oboe. I'm pretty sure that's what you have.
They sell on ebay for about $600 - $800 depending on condition.
I think new they are around $1200 but you can check that on line. Yours does not have the adjusting screws on the octave mechanism so might be earlier than the most recent edition.
By the way your photograph is flipped and the wrong way round!!

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed