Oboe/Choosing oboe staples

I play on a Howarth XL oboe here in the US and was wondering if you might be able to shed some knowledge in staples selection. I've been told that with a bigger bore oboe, you will want to choose a narrower bore staple (eg Chiarugi 2, Guercio D11 etc) and vice versa. How much of this do you think is relevant? What seems to be the most popular choice for XL users?

Thank you so much!

Dear Mramli

When I played the XL I used the Rigoutat gold plated staples which were about the same as the Glotin or the Chiarugi no 5.
Having said that Loree staples worked for me too with some shapes.
The balance between the shape and the staple is most probably important though. If you have a narrow chimney staple there is a limit to the width of the shape that you can tie on without the reed becoming too long and causing flatness. A bigger staple asks for the cane to be wife and/or pushed on further to create the seal at the end of the staple
There are certainly theories that narrower staple chimneys suit bigger bore and vice versa. I have found over the years that as long as the reed is well made - i.e. not leaking and making a good side seal - then the final arbiter is the cane quality. If you use a long scrape American style reed much depends on the width of the shape. A narrower shape will help and then a Loree type like Chiarugi 2 will be fine I suggest.

Best of luck with this

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed