Oboe/oboe staples

Question
Hello Geoffrey,
I've just been given some old staples with what I would describe as a 'collar' around the tube. I think that on one or two of them, the material is nickel silver rather than brass.
Purely for interest, can you please give me an idea of their age? I certainly don't remember seeing staples quite like these before, and I've been around more than a year or two!
Thank you and best wishes,
Jenny

Answer
Hi Jenny

The staples you have are certainly pretty old. The collar was used to trap the ends of the canes and help stabilize the reed. I wonder if you could send me a picture and I can try and identify them more accurately for you. There were several manufacturers  of staples some making them from formed and braised sheet metal and others deposited by an electrolytes process. It would be great to have a look.
Send pix to

geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com

Are you a member of the Britsih Double Reed Society by any chance? If you are not could you tell me why please. Sorry to proselytize in this way but I am Chairman of the society and wonder why recruitment is becoming more and more difficult. May be we don't offer what oboe players need in this Internet age. But there will be lots of reasons I'm sure.

Best wishes

Geoffrey  

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge