Oboe/rigoutat oboe

Dear Geoffrey, I have a Rigoutat Oboe (made in France)
ser. no 097 HH. I bought it secondhand '76. Could you please give me a clue about age and value as I have to sell it.

Dear Atidtya

Your Rigoutat oboe was made in about 1975 and would be their Classique model as they didn't make any others at this time.
I am pretty certain of that because the great oboist Heinz Holliger had one with this serial number lettering of "HH" and I asked him at the time (1975)  if his oboe was unique to him. No it was just that the serial numbering had reached those letters in the factoriy's numbering scheme.
It's value in Australia is hard for me to pin down. In the UK that vintage of oboe would sell for about 2500 I guess and in the USA around $3500.
That gives you an idea I hope.
The value though is dependent on a number of factors. Cosmetic appearance, (silver plating etc) how it plays and if it has any poor quality notes. Bore wear can also affect how it plays as older oboes If they have been used a lot, will possibly be worn through cleaning.

Hope this helps

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed