Oboe/rigoutat oboe

Question
Dear Geoffrey, I have a Rigoutat Oboe (made in France)
ser. no 097 HH. I bought it secondhand '76. Could you please give me a clue about age and value as I have to sell it.

Answer
Dear Atidtya

Your Rigoutat oboe was made in about 1975 and would be their Classique model as they didn't make any others at this time.
I am pretty certain of that because the great oboist Heinz Holliger had one with this serial number lettering of "HH" and I asked him at the time (1975)  if his oboe was unique to him. No it was just that the serial numbering had reached those letters in the factoriy's numbering scheme.
It's value in Australia is hard for me to pin down. In the UK that vintage of oboe would sell for about 2500 I guess and in the USA around $3500.
That gives you an idea I hope.
The value though is dependent on a number of factors. Cosmetic appearance, (silver plating etc) how it plays and if it has any poor quality notes. Bore wear can also affect how it plays as older oboes If they have been used a lot, will possibly be worn through cleaning.

Hope this helps

Geoffrey  

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge