Oboe/Oboe Value

Question
QUESTION: I have an oboe that I played for many years that was handed down to me.  It is stamped Moennig Bros. Philharmonic with a circled R and serial number 70 on the bell, 70 on the lower joint and 16870 on the upper joint.  It needs reconditioning (it has not been played in probably 12 years) but I am curious as to its value.  Thanks!

ANSWER: Gretchen, thank you for your note. I would appreciate having a photo of the oboe in its case to help ascertain its value. Thank you, hannah

oboe
oboe  
QUESTION: Of course, I should have included that originally.

Answer
Gretchen, thank you for the photo. I believe the oboe is worth around $1000 as long as the top joint bore is intact; and there are no major top joint cracks that would impair the value and function. When advertising the oboe, it is important to include what history you have and that the oboe will require servicing. Thank you for your question and photo. Sincerely, hannah

Oboe

Hannah Selznick