so I used to play the oboe and I reached grade 6 and then I quit, and now, 2 years later, Im really regretting my decision and would love to take it up again, only I don't have my own instrument as whenever I did lessons, the oboe was rented. I've been looking at oboes on eBay, and am hoping to buy a high quality oboe, but for a low price, which I know is quite impossible. Could you tell me what you think of this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261825861333?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=S
or possibly point me to other oboes for sale? Thank you

Sarah, thank you for your note. The oboe may require many hundreds of dollars of servicing and then not be right because the wood is almost 100 years old. The oboe is also out of your country which is expensive to return if you don't like it. I suggest you contact Howarth of London. These are honest folks and perhaps they can assist you in finding a quality instrument.  Ebay is a dangerous place to buy oboes. They are never what they are described as.

Hannah Selznick

I have the expertise to answer questions about all brands and models of oboes and English Horns. I will assist in providing information about the process of purchasing and selling an instrument. I know reputable oboe specialist repairmen to recommend. I give guidance on oboe and English Horn reeds. I offer guidance on maintenance and handling of oboes and English Horns and help owners troubleshoot instrument issues.

I have been an instructor of oboe and instrumental music for almost 40 years. I have taught all grade levels from preschool music to college oboe (double reed specialist)instruction. I perform with a professional symphony in the Phoenix area. I also have an active teaching studio. I love what I do, especially in regards to educating future generations of musicians.

International Double Reed Society

BS.ED (Music) University of Missouri MM in Oboe Performance University of Tulsa Post Graduate Work in Oboe at Catholic University of America

Who's Who in America

I have public and private educational institutions as clients; as well as a national referral base of studio teachers and oboe instructors.