Oboe/Selmer Oboe

Question
Selmer Oboe
Selmer Oboe  
Hello,
Would you mind giving me some information on my oboe?  I played in HS/College(1970's) and purchased this one used about 25 years ago.  It's been in my closet for about 20 years and I'm attempting to relearn all that I forgot!
The serial number is F8488.  I'd love to know the model number and the year she was born.
Thanks so much for any information!
Jimmie

Answer
Dear Jimmie

I think from your photograph without which I would be lost, that you have a Selmer model 121 or it may be a 101 which I think was an older version. These oboes had all the keys trills, left hand F, fork F,, banana key for the low C etc etc and are made of grenadilla wood.

I'm afraid that the serial number is not a guide and can't quite tell the story as the lists are not easily available. However I think that you should consider the oboe as being about 40years old.

To sell it if you decided to of course, you ought to get about $1000 for it and if it plays well even more, perhaps up to $1500. The new 121 sells for $3000 - ish - when on offer - which they seems to be almost always. MSRP being $4300!

Hope this helps

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge