Oboe/Selmer Oboe

Selmer Oboe
Selmer Oboe  
Would you mind giving me some information on my oboe?  I played in HS/College(1970's) and purchased this one used about 25 years ago.  It's been in my closet for about 20 years and I'm attempting to relearn all that I forgot!
The serial number is F8488.  I'd love to know the model number and the year she was born.
Thanks so much for any information!

Dear Jimmie

I think from your photograph without which I would be lost, that you have a Selmer model 121 or it may be a 101 which I think was an older version. These oboes had all the keys trills, left hand F, fork F,, banana key for the low C etc etc and are made of grenadilla wood.

I'm afraid that the serial number is not a guide and can't quite tell the story as the lists are not easily available. However I think that you should consider the oboe as being about 40years old.

To sell it if you decided to of course, you ought to get about $1000 for it and if it plays well even more, perhaps up to $1500. The new 121 sells for $3000 - ish - when on offer - which they seems to be almost always. MSRP being $4300!

Hope this helps

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed