Oboe/Tension in Hands and Fingers

Question
I was wondering what suggestions you have to counteract tension in fingers and hands.  I am pretty good at trying to relax my breathing when performing but when it comes to my hands and fingers I can feel tension (and thus stiffness) building up and that creates a cycle of difficulties.

Are there some exercises you might suggest?

Thanks You

Answer
Hi, Sandy;  Looking at "The Art of Oboe Playing" by Sprenkle and Ledet, Sprenkle acknowledges the awkwardness of holding the oboe.  He makes the connection between embouchure and hand tension stating "a tight, biting type of embouchure usually accompanies a heavy-handed finger action in order to hold the oboe more securely; a sensitive and open embouchure requires only balanced and gentle finger control"  So, the first suggestion is to take a look at your embouchure; is it relaxed and open?  He goes on
"The hand position, with the fingers poised over the keys, should be as comfortable as possible.  The fingers should be slightly curved without excess tension, touching the keys with the soft pads of their tips.  The support [of the right hand] is easiest at a point just behind the thumbnail.  The right arm and fingers are normally parallel to, or point slightly toward the floor. ...The fingers must feel free to move, and their motion must not alter the pressure of the instrument on the lower lip."  It might help to play in front of a mirror and notice your hand and arm positions as indicated above.  

There are some exercises that might help.  The first is using a softball, sit on an armless chair with your feet slightly raised on a stool.  Grasp the ball in your right hand, keep your back straight, tuck your chin, gaze forward with your head upright.  Keep you elbows at your sides and end them at a 90 degree angle.  Squeeze the ball as firmly as possible and hold for 5 to 10 seconds.  Remember to breathe.  Release and repeat with the left hand. This is an exercise used by physical therapists.

Another suggestion, I'm a fan of yoga and believe it or not, there are even yoga exercises for the hands.  Take a look at www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-therapy-hands-wrists-and-forearms.  Hope this helps.  Joel

Oboe

Joel Simon